Sunday, July 13, 2008

I'll Fly Away

I attended a funeral yesterday. The mom of one of my best friends passed away early Tues morning. She was a sweet lady and, judging by the number of folks present, was obviously well loved. I spent a good part of my youth at her house, hanging with her daughter, Gee (nickname of course). She looked very pretty and at peace. Life wasn't easy for her (& her kids), but they always knew they were loved. It was hard to say goodbye, but good to know she was no longer in pain and in a much better place. They played only one song, and I think it was probably the most beautiful rendition I've ever heard....I'll Fly Away sung by Johnny Cash with only a guitar to accompany him. It was incredible and I've been singing it since.
Goodbye, Ms Long. I always loved being at your house as a kid and you showed me how wonderful having a mom could be (mine passed away when I was 7). No matter how many rules we broke, you always scolded with a slight smile on your face and with a gentle loving hand.
Goodbye, for now-we'll miss you.  

1 comment:

Sunny said...

What a beautiful tribute to your "adopted" mom.