I decided to concentrate on him and see if I could find out more about him. After 3 days of research and digging I found out:
1. He was born in Pickens Co, SC in 1825
2. He was married to Jennie Anderson
3. He joined the 4th SC infantry about 1862 and after his year term was up, he, along with the majority of the 4th SC, joined the 37th Virginia Calvary Co. B and served under A.C. Earle as a partisan raider-which means they infiltrated enemy lines and
supplies to stea......umm.. requisition supplies for their own soldiers, and to find
intelligence on enemy movements and plans
4. He was captured in Virginia in 1864 and sent to Camp Chase, Oh, which was a POW camp, where he died of pneumonia in 1865
5. He was buried at Camp Chase Cemetary in Ohio
He was 40 years old at his death and left behind his wife Jennie and at least 5 kids I can find. Jennie never remarried, or I can't find any evidence of it if she did. Her grave is at Oolenoy Church cemetary and she is buried under the name "Jennie Massingill". I plan on riding up to the church and reading some old grave markers, maybe I can learn more.
This has been so interesting!!