Saturday, November 29, 2008

Roots

On Thanksgiving Day, my dad and got into a discussion about our ancestry. We pulled out the ole laptop and started doing a little research. Poor dad got somewhat frustrated because I moved too quickly on the computer (he does not use them), so I slowed way down and we looked up the names of cousins, uncles...etc... I found out my dad's nickname, Bud, is the same as his grandfather's because he looked so much like him. I never knew that before. Anyway, once I got home, I started doing some research on my own, following my direct blood line. My dad's mom's side has quite a bit of info available, but I couldn't locate a lot of info on anyone else. I did trace 2 ancestors back to Germany/Austria and 1 to Ireland on my grandma's side. I also-from a number of years ago when a cousin did some research-knew I had a great x3 grandfather who died fighting in the Civil War and no one knew quite where he's buried. There was some speculation that he was buried at Arlington....which confused me. Did they bury confederate soldiers at a federal cemetary?? Did he fight for the Union?
I decided to concentrate on him and see if I could find out more about him. After 3 days of research and digging I found out:

1.  He was born in Pickens Co, SC in 1825
2.  He was married to Jennie Anderson
3.  He joined the 4th SC infantry  about 1862 and after his year term was up, he, along         with the majority of the 4th SC, joined the  37th Virginia Calvary Co. B and served           under A.C. Earle as a partisan raider-which means they infiltrated enemy lines and
      supplies to stea......umm.. requisition supplies for their own soldiers, and to find 
      intelligence on enemy movements and plans
4.  He was captured in Virginia in 1864 and sent to Camp Chase, Oh, which was a                   POW camp, where he died of pneumonia in 1865
5.  He was buried at Camp Chase Cemetary in Ohio

He was 40 years old at his death and left behind his wife Jennie and at least 5 kids I can find. Jennie never remarried, or I can't find any evidence of it if she did. Her grave is at Oolenoy Church cemetary and she is buried under the name "Jennie Massingill". I plan on riding up to the church and reading some old grave markers, maybe I can learn more.
This has been so interesting!!
   

No comments: